H.B. Steele & Son wants to make the smartest and most informed decisions possible when it comes to your home and family. For that reason, we recommend and install PEX plumbing for all plumbing needs throughout Schuylkill County.
PEX (or cross-linked polyethylene) is part of a water supply piping system that has several advantages over metal pipe (copper, iron, lead) or rigid plastic pipe (PVC, CPVC, ABS) systems. It is flexible, resistant to scale and chlorine, doesn’t corrode or develop pinholes, is faster to install than metal or rigid plastic, and has fewer connections and fittings.
PEX plumbing has been in use in Europe since about 1970 and was introduced to the U.S. around 1980. The use of PEX has been increasing ever since, replacing copper pipe in many applications.
Advantages of PEX:
- PEX plumbing installations require fewer fittings than rigid piping. The flexible tubing can turn 90-degree corners without the need for elbow fittings, and PEX tubing unrolled from spools can be installed in long runs without the need for coupling fittings.
- Attaching PEX tube to fittings is safer since a torch is not needed to make connections.
- PEX resists the scale build-up common with copper pipe and does not pit or corrode when exposed to acidic water. This helps prevent water stains in tubs, sinks, washers, and on clothing.
- PEX is much more resistant to freeze-breakage than copper or rigid plastic pipe.
- PEX tubing does not transfer heat as readily as copper, therefore conserving energy.
- Water flows more quietly through PEX tubing. The characteristic “water hammer” noise of copper pipe systems is virtually eliminated.
- PEX is less expensive than copper pipe.
- Less time is spent running pipe and installing fittings than with rigid pipe systems.
- Installing fewer fittings reduces the chances for expensive callbacks and replacement.
If you have leaking pipes in your home, low water pressure, or have visible staining, re-plumbing your home with PEX is very affordable and may be the answer to your problems.
Contact us for professional advice and see if the installation of PEX may be right for you.